Make this when plums are in season and they are soft and juicy. Don’t skimp on the ginger in the cake as it complements the plums beautifully.
|200g (7oz)||unsalted butter, softened|
|250g (9oz)||caster sugar|
|zest of 1 orange|
|¼ tsp||ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||ground ginger|
|200ml (7oz)||soured cream|
|300g (11oz)||self-raising flour|
|1 level tsp||baking powder|
|For the orange syrup:|
|50g (2oz)||caster sugar|
|juice of 1 orange made up to 100ml with water|
|1 tbsp||Grand Marnier (optional)|
You will need: a 24cm (9½in) deep non-stick ovenproof frying pan.
1. Butter a 24cm (9½in) deep non-stick ovenproof frying pan. Cut one long strip of baking paper about 2.5cm (1in) wide and lay in the bottom of the pan. Place to cover any rivets that you may have in the pan. Place a circle of baking paper over the strip.
2. Halve the plums and remove the stones. Place the plums cut side down on a chopping board and slice from top to bottom. Cover until ready to use.
3. Cream the butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and ginger until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well until combined. This is easiest done with an electric mixer but can be done by hand as long as the butter is very soft. Pour in the soured cream and beat well. If the mixture looks a little curdled add a spoonful of the flour. Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently mix in until thoroughly combined. Spoon into the pan and level with the back of a spoon.
4. Arrange the plum slices on top of the cake. Bake in the oven for 45–50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry. While the cake is baking make the orange syrup.
5. For the orange syrup: mix the sugar and orange juice in a small frying pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the syrup thickens slightly. Add the Grand Marnier, if using.
6. When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven. While the cake is still warm pierce the surface with a cocktail stick and drizzle with the syrup.