These fried sweetcorn fritters are an excellent accompaniment to some crispy bacon, and make a tasty vegetarian brunch dish when served with guacamole.
A wonderful brunch or lunch dish or a perfect side dish to barbecued meats. The sweetcorn can be replaced with grated courgettes or carrots for equally delicious fritters.
|1 x 230g (8.oz) can||sweetcorn kernels, drained|
|3||spring onions, thinly sliced|
|½ tsp||chilli flakes (optional)|
|A handful||coriander leaves, finely chopped|
|75g (3oz)||plain flour|
|½ tsp||baking powder|
|3||medium eggs, beaten|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|vegetable oil, for frying|
|bacon, guacamole, and soured cream, to serve|
1. Place the drained sweetcorn in a medium-sized bowl and mix with the spring onions, chilli, if using, and coriander.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt into a separate bowl.
3. Whisk together the eggs and milk until well combined.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour bowl. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the well, whisking continuously, until the batter is smooth.
5. Stir in the corn mixture, season with salt and pepper and rest for 10 minutes.
6. Pour the oil into a large deep frying pan making sure the base of the pan is well covered. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Heat the oil, add a tiny bit of batter, and if it immediately starts sizzling the oil is hot enough. Using 2 tablespoons of mixture per fritter, drop the mixture carefully into the pan. You should be able to cook 2–3 fritters at a time. Fry for 2–4 minutes on one side until a light brown, then turn over and cook for a further minute.
7. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Repeat until all the batter is used. Serve with fried bacon, guacamole and soured cream.