Mexican Veggie Burgers with Sriracha Ketchup
Served with a delicious Sriracha ketchup, these Mexican-inspired bean burgers are packed with flavour and are very easy to make.
These spicy veggie burgers are very filling and are great for brunch, a light lunch or a TV dinner. If you don’t want to bother making the Sriracha ketchup you can now buy it ready bottled in some supermarkets, although it won’t taste quite so good.
|1 tbsp||olive oil, plus extra for shallow-frying|
|1||red onion, finely chopped|
|3||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1||jalapeño chilli, deseeded and diced|
|½ tsp||ground cumin|
|2 x 400g/14oz cans (scant 5 cups)||chickpeas, rinsed and drained|
|few sprigs of coriander (cilantro), chopped|
|juice of ½ lime|
|1||medium free-range egg, beaten|
|60g/2oz (generous 1 cup)||fresh breadcrumbs|
|4||burger buns, split and toasted|
|crisp lettuce leaves, e.g. cos (romaine)|
|guacamole, to serve|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|For the Sriracha ketchup:|
|120ml/4fl oz (½ cup)||tomato ketchup|
|juice of ½ lime|
|1 tsp||rice vinegar|
|1 tsp||clear honey|
Prep: 15 minutes. Chill: 1 hour. Cook: 20 minutes.
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan (skillet) over a low-medium heat and cook the onion and garlic for 6–8 minutes until softened. Stir in the chilli and cumin and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Coarsely mash the chickpeas in a large bowl and stir in the cooked onion mixture. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then stir in the coriander, lime juice, beaten egg and breadcrumbs and season.
3. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape each one into a burger. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour to firm them up.
4. Meanwhile, make the Sriracha ketchup: mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, stirring well.
5. Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick frying pan (skillet) set over a medium heat. Add the burgers to the hot pan and cook for 4–5 minutes each side until crisp and golden brown. Turn them over and remove them carefully.
6. Put them in toasted burger buns with some crisp lettuce, guacamole and the Sriracha ketchup. Serve immediately.
OR YOU CAN TRY THIS…
– Use red kidney beans or black beans instead of chickpeas, or a mixture of all three.
– Top the burgers with a spoonful of Sriracha mayo. – Cover each burger with a slice of cheese (Monterey Jack, Emmenthal or Cheddar) and melt under a hot grill (broiler).