Tofu Kebabs with Sweet Chilli Sauce
In this vegetarian kebab recipe, the tofu is marinated in soy sauce, garlic, tomato and honey to impart bags of flavour and then served with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
Tofu, or bean curd, has a silky texture and is very high in protein, making it an extremely healthy food, especially for vegetarians. It has rather a bland, delicate flavour, so it’s often marinated before cooking and added to spicy dishes or served with a hot sauce.
|1||green (bell) pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks|
|1||red or yellow (bell) pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks|
|1||red onion, cut into wedges|
|spray olive oil|
|few sprigs of coriander (cilantro), chopped|
|sweet chilli sauce, for drizzling|
|For the marinade:|
|2 tbsp||light soy sauce|
|2||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 tbsp||tomato purée (paste)|
|1 tsp||clear honey|
Prep: 10 minutes. Marintate: 30 minutes. Cook: 5 minutes.
1. Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add the tofu and stir into the marinade until coated all over. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Thread the tofu, peppers and red onion alternately onto 4 long or 8 short skewers and spray them lightly with oil.
3. Cook on a hot griddle (grill) pan or barbecue or under a preheated grill (broiler) for about 5 minutes, turning the kebabs occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and slightly charred on the edges and the tofu is golden.
4. Serve immediately, sprinkled with coriander and drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.
OR YOU CAN TRY THIS…
– Use any hot sauce or dip into some harissa.
– Vary the vegetables: try courgette (zucchini) or aubergine (eggplant) chunks, button mushrooms or cherry tomatoes. – Instead of tofu, use cubed halloumi cheese and drizzle with Sriracha.