Mary Berry’s Spicy Sausage Rolls
These perfectly crisp, spicy sausage rolls from Mary Berry's Simple Comforts, flavoured with sun-dried tomato paste and fresh parsley, make an excellent addition to any picnic.
From the book
Lizzy, our publisher, asked for sausage rolls to be included in the book, as she feels they are among the most comforting of all foods. She’s right! If you can’t find ready-rolled puff pastry, buy an all-butter 500g (1lb 2oz) block and use about four-fifths.
|6||fat pork sausages|
|2 tbsp||sun-dried tomato paste|
|6||mild peppadew peppers, finely chopped|
|Small bunch of||parsley, chopped|
|1||garlic clove, crushed|
|1 x 375g (13oz) sheet of||ready- rolled puff pastry|
|flour, for dusting|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
1. You will need a large baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7 and line the baking sheet with some non-stick baking paper.
2. To make the filling, remove the sausage meat from the skins and place in a mixing bowl. Add the tomato paste, peppadew peppers, parsley and garlic. Season well and mix with your hands until all is evenly combined.
3. Unroll the pastry and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the pastry to a slightly bigger rectangle measuring about 40 x 30cm (16 x 12in). Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
4. Divide the sausage mixture into three. Take one portion and roll it into a long sausage shape. Place it lengthways on the pastry, about 10cm (4in) in from the shorter edge. Fold over the pastry to encase the sausage meat and press to seal. Trim the pastry edges to make a long sausage roll, then slice in half to make 2 long sausage rolls measuring about 12cm (5in) long. Fork the edges. Repeat the process twice using the remaining pastry and sausage mixture.
5. Arrange the sausage rolls on the baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through in the middle. Serve warm, with tomato ketchup.
Prepare ahead: Can be made up to 12 hours ahead, then cook to serve. Or cook up to a day ahead and reheat to serve.
Freeze: Freeze unbaked. Thaw before baking.