Who’s the author? The one and only Mary Berry, author of over 70 cookbooks, much-loved judge on BBC’s Britain’s Best Home Cook, and the nation’s favourite cookery writer.
What’s it about? When it comes to comfort food, easy-to-follow, fuss-free recipes are an absolute must and Mary Berry’s Simple Comforts is packed with them. With her characteristically straightforward instructions, clever tips, and handy shortcuts, Mary makes delicious, heartwarming cooking easy, enjoyable, and accessible for every home cook. This is a book to soothe the soul and lift the spirits, whether you’re cooking up a hearty hotpot, treating your friends and family to indulgent bakes, or entertaining guests with a classic roast dinner. Mary Berry’s Simple Comforts contains over 120 recipes, each with a beautiful photograph so you can see exactly how your finished dish will look. Better yet, the book is accompanied by a six-part BBC2 series which includes a number of recipes from the book.
Recipes we love: Double Baked Mushroom Souffles, Braised Lamb with Sweet Potato and Haricot Beans, and Brioche Frangipane Apple Pudding.
Perfect for: Comfort food fans, classic cooks, dinner party enthusiasts, and Mary Berry devotees.
5 more reasons to buy Mary Berry's Simple Comforts:
1. Simple Comforts is divided into easy-to-navigate chapters that range from Sharing & First Courses and Poultry & Game, to Fish & Seafood, Vegetable Mains and more. Rounded off, of course, with Puddings and Cakes.
2. Every recipe is acommpanied by gorgeous photography so you can see exactly what you're cooking and how it'll look – ideal for entertaining.
3. Find extra-handy tips, make-ahead advice and freezer tricks to guide you along the way.
4. In Mary's classic no-nonsense approach, she's put together a handy Recipe Finder upfront so it's easy to find quick meal inspiration.
5. Simple Comforts will ease you into winter with simple, warming and comforting recipes for stews and roasts, bakes and crumbles, and updates on plenty of the classics.
Recipes from Simple Comforts
More about Simple Comforts
If you’re thinking of switching things up this Christmas, why not swap the traditional turkey for a flavoursome joint of lamb? For inspiration, check out our collection of the best roast lamb tips and recipes.
For a special Christmas Eve dinner that’s packed with festive flavours, try this sumptuous menu from Mary Berry’s Simple Comforts cookbook.