Mary Berry is back again with another cracking cookbook, Mary Berry's Simple Comforts. The official cookbook to accompany her upcoming BBC Two series is packed with 120 brand new recipes all dedicated to easy comfort food to lift the spirits. “Good food is one of the great joys of life. Cooking a superb meal is a wonderful way of expressing love and giving comfort and pleasure to family and friends. And you don’t have to be a three-star chef”, says Mary who has written her recipes to be as straightforward as possible for anyone to make at home.
We can't wait to share some of the recipes and in the meantime, here's five things we can reveal so far to whet your appetite and you can pre-order your copy here.
1. Mary's Simple Comforts is divided into easy-to-navigate chapters that range from Sharing & First Courses and Poultry & Game, to Fish & Seafood, Vegetable Mains and more. Rounded off, of course, with Puddings and Cakes.
2. Mary's Simple Comforts and will ease you into winter with simple, warming and comforting recipes for stews and roasts, bakes and crumbles. There's an updated twist on a classic roast chicken, Spicy Sausage and Red Pepper Hot Pot, plus warming recipes for pasta bakes, chillies and lots of comfort puds, like Frangipane Apple and Brioche Pudding.
3. Find plenty of ideas for entertaining, whether you're hosting a dinner party for several, a big Sunday roast or a family celebration. We love the Slow Roast French Lamb with Ratatouille, plus you'll also find a full chapter dedicated to vegetable sides to accompany a show-stopper main. Mary also gives advice on how to make-ahead, freeze and reheat elements of a dish (particularly useful for busy times like Christmas). Plus, you'll find plenty of make-ahead desserts too.
4. “Comfort food should be easy to make and I like dishes that can be put together reasonably quickly without stress or too many ingredients”, says Mary. In keeping with her no-nonsense approach, she's put together a handy Recipe Finder upfront so whether you want a soup or make-ahead meal, a weekend special, a one-pot supper or pudding, it's easy to find inspiration. Plus, an extra section on Mary's Kitchen Guidance provides a comprehensive freezer guide, conversion charts and a waste-free tool to scale up your portions to feed a crowd.
5. Every recipe is acommpanied by gorgeous photography so you can see exactly what you're cooking and how it'll look – ideal for entertaining – plus extra handy, no-fuss tips and advice to guide you along the way.
Pre-order your copy of Mary Berry's Simple Comforts here and enter this Waterstones competition to be in with a chance of winning a set of Le Creuset kitchen kit to make cooking from the book even more enjoyable.