Roasted Vegetables with Feta and Herbs
A dish bursting with the flavour of roasted Mediterranean vegetables, this recipe from Mary Berry's TV show, Classic, makes for a perfect vegetarian main course.
Roasted vegetables have become a classic over the last few decades as people see that Mediterranean vegetables are now easy to buy or grow.
|1 large or 2 small
|aubergines, halved lengthways and cut into slices about 1.5cm (⅝in) thick
|peeled butternut squash, cut into 2cm (¾in) cubes
|medium courgettes, halved lengthways and cut into slices about 1cm (½in) thick
|large red peppers, deseeded and cut into 4cm (1½in) chunks
|salt and freshly ground black pepper
|For the dressing:
|1 rounded tsp
|banana shallot, finely diced
|garlic clove, crushed
|feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7 and line two large baking sheets with baking paper (see tip).
2. Place the vegetables in a large bowl, then add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss until coated. Arrange in a single layer on the lined baking sheets.
3. Roast in the oven for 30–40 minutes until golden and a little charred, turning them halfway through if needed. The vegetables will be all be cooked when the squash is tender. Leave to cool on the baking sheets.
4. Place all of the dressing ingredients in a jug, then mix well and season with salt and pepper.
5. Put the roasted vegetables on a serving platter or in a bowl, pour over the dressing and check the seasoning. Scatter with the chopped herbs and the feta (if using).
Prepare ahead: The vegetables and herbs can be prepared (sliced and chopped) up to 2 hours in advance. The dressing can be made up to a day ahead.
Mary's Classic Tip: The vegetables will fill two large baking sheets, so you will need to use two oven shelves. Make sure they are both positioned in the upper levels of the oven, so the vegetables all cook at roughly the same rate. Turn halfway if needed.