Gluten-free Rhubarb Crumble
Whenever I make this gluten-free rhubarb crumble, it’s always met with joyful approval from friends after a hearty meal in the depths of winter. The recipe is a twist on traditional crumble, using gluten-free flour with added walnuts for a dose of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants that are so essential for skin health.
|6 tbsp||rice flour (or other gluten-free flour)|
|150g||butter, cut into cubes|
|2||handfuls of walnuts, crushed|
|10||sticks of rhubarb, cut into 1cm pieces|
|1||apple, peeled, cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces|
|A handful||dried cranberries|
|Juice of ½ lemon|
|To serve (optional):|
|Crème fraîche infused with a vanilla pod (halved and seeds removed)|
|Vanilla ice cream|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
2. Combine the flour and 2 teaspoons of the Stevia in a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly in texture. Add the walnuts and set aside.
3. Place the rhubarb, apple and cranberries in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water and the rest of the Stevia. Cook down over a medium heat for 10–15 minutes or until the fruit is plump, soft and juicy but still holding its shape.
4. Add the lemon juice to the fruit mixture and stir to combine.
5. Place the cooked fruit in a small ovenproof dish and top with the crumble mixture. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until browned on top, and serve with vanilla-infused crème fraîche or ice cream, if you wish.
• 311 Calories per serving •