Five Vegetable Lasagne
This healthy twist on a lasagne boasts five different vegetables and is an easy vegetarian alternative that's still a comfort food favourite.
A vegetable-packed twist on the classic and a practical dish to have it up your sleeve, as you can prepare this well in advance and simply pop in the oven before serving.
296 Calories per serving / £1.10 Cost per serving
|1||small aubergine, sliced and chopped|
|300g||mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|3 tbsp||vegetable oil|
|1||onion, finely chopped|
|3||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 x 400g||tin tomatoes|
|200g||roasted peppers from a jar, drained and sliced|
|150g||spinach (fresh or frozen)|
|85g||lasagne sheets (or enough for two layers)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C.
2. Place the aubergine and mushrooms in a roasting tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, ensuring the vegetables are well coated. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown and soft.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat and add the onion. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Turn down the heat and add the garlic. Cook for a further 2–3 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure it doesn’t burn.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes and roasted peppers, season with black pepper and leave to simmer for 10–15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in another pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 1–2 minutes then start adding the milk, bit by bit, stirring all the time to avoid lumps.
6. If using fresh spinach, either wilt the spinach in the microwave (place in a bowl and cook on high for 1–2 minutes) or on the hob (place in a covered pan over a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of water for 2–3 minutes). Drain well to remove any excess moisture, then chop the spinach before stirring into the white sauce. If using frozen spinach, either defrost in the microwave (place in a bowl and cook on high for 1–2 minutes) or place in a sieve over the sink and pour boiling water over the top. Drain well to remove any excess moisture, then stir into the sauce.
7. To assemble the lasagne, spoon the roast mushrooms and aubergine into the base of a large ovenproof dish. Pour half the tomato and pepper sauce over the top. Cover with a single layer of lasagne sheets then spread half the spinach sauce over the top. Repeat the layers – tomato and pepper sauce, lasagne sheets and spinach sauce – then top with the grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 35–40 minutes, until golden brown, bubbling and cooked through.
8. Serve with a green salad.