Chicken Katsu Curry Burger
We may be a bit hazy as to why this popular Japanese dish is called a curry when we all associate curries with Indian (and that’s even after our food expert, Rebecca Seal, tried to educate us as to its origins). However, there is one thing we are confident about – the chicken katsu curry burger is a winner. One weekend, Simon put it on the menu at his pub as a special. It’s been a fixture on the menu ever since. This is proper food.
|2 tbsp||curry powder|
|2||boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 5 goujons per breast|
|Vegetable oil, for deep-frying|
|Sweet potato fries, to serve|
|For the curry sauce:|
|1||garlic clove, chopped|
|1 tbsp||plain flour|
|25ml||light soy sauce|
|2 tsp||garam masala|
|5g||cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water|
|4||brioche buns, toasted|
|4||thin slices of red onion|
|4||leaves of butter lettuce|
You will need: a deep-fryer or deep pan.
1. Heat the oil for the sauce in a pan and cook the onion, garlic and carrots for 12 minutes over a medium heat, to soften and caramelise.
2. Add the flour and curry powder and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually add the stock, mixing until smooth after each addition. Add the honey and soy, bring to a boil, then add the garam masala and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender and process until really smooth.
3. Put back into the pan, add the cornflour and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened.
4. Mix the flour with the salt and curry powder, beat the eggs in a bowl and spread the panko breadcrumbs out on a plate.
5. Dip the chicken goujons first in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
6. Pour enough oil for deep-frying into a deepfryer or deep pan, making sure it is no more than one-third full. Heat to 180°C, or until a cube of bread browns in just under 1 minute.
7. Add the goujons in batches and deep-fry for 6 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
8. To serve, spread some mayo on the base of each bun, add onion, then lettuce, then chicken goujons, then a good spoonful of curry sauce.
9. Put the lid on and serve with sweet potato fries, with a dish of extra sauce to dip into.