Chorizo and Cheese Sausage Roll
This irresistible recipe for Chorizo and Cheese Sausage Rolls from The Sunday Brunch Cookbook is a British classic with a lovely Spanish twist, thanks to the delicious flavours of chorizo and Manchego cheese.
The sausage roll is a staple of every buffet table. Done well it is a thing of beauty. Our version embraces the Spanish flavours of smoky, spicy chorizo and buttery, sheep’s milk Manchego cheese. If you can’t find Manchego then you can always substitute Gruyère cheese.
|175g||cooking chorizo, cut into small pieces (or buy pre-diced to save time)|
|2 tbsp||dry sherry|
|100g||Manchego cheese, grated|
|1 tbsp||chopped parsley|
|1 x 500g block||puff pastry|
|1||egg yolk, lightly beaten|
|Salt and black pepper|
|Chilli sauce, tomato ketchup or tomato chutney, to serve|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C/Gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. In a non-stick frying pan, fry the chorizo until crispy. (As the chorizo is oily, you won’t need to add any extra oil to the pan.)
3. Add the sherry to the chorizo in the pan, then reduce to nearly nothing.
4. Tip the chorizo into a bowl with the sausage meat, cheese and parsley. Season and mix well.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 30cm square, then cut into four equal 15cm squares.
6. Divide the sausage mixture between the pastry squares, placing it in a long strip down the middle of each square.
7. Roll each into a cylinder, trim the excess wrap-over of pastry, creating a seam. Lightly press the seam together to seal and place seamside down on the lined baking tray.
8. Brush with egg yolk and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed, crispy and deep golden.
9. Serve with your favourite accompaniments.