Cheeseburger Pretzel Bombs
Much easier than they look, these Cheeseburger Pretzel Bombs are a brilliant canape to impress your party guests.
When a recipe looks more complicated than it is but still tastes like a million bucks, you’re in a win-win position. These meatball-stuffed, cheese-wrapped cylinders are a great example. The best part is that after making them you’ll know how to pretzelise anything you can wrap in plain old pizza dough; the secret is…wait for it…bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)! See recipe for details then pretelize to your heart’s content.
|450g||pizza dough, left out at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes|
|7||slices of American cheese, cut in half|
|14||frozen mini meatballs, thawed|
|45g||cup of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)|
|coarse sea salt|
|yellow mustard, to serve (optional)|
1. Preheat the oven to 220C (425F/gas 7). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut the dough into 14 evenly sized pieces. Working one at a time, stretch out a piece of dough into a long strip, about 20cm/8in long. Place a piece of cheese at the top, followed by a meatball, and roll up the cheese and the meatball in the dough. Rotate halfway through rolling to ensure you are completely encasing the cheese and meat into the dough. Pull tightly and use any remaining slack to cover any possible gaps/holes. Press the dough into itself to seal and place on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, cheese, and meatballs.
3. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 1.2 litres/5 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and stir to dissolve. Return the pot to a boil.
4. In batches (working 3 to 5 at a time), add the rolled dough balls into the pot and boil for 20 to 30 seconds, stirring gently. Remove and dab on a paper towel before replacing on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
5. Brush each boiled ball with beaten egg and then sprinkle each with coarse sea salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the outsides have browned. Serve warm with mustard, if desired.