Mary Berry’s Paneer and Roasted Vegetable Curry
A tasty vegetarian curry recipe from Mary Berry's BBC2 series Simple Comforts, combining paneer, cauliflower, sweet potato, and spices.
From the book
Paneer is a fresh Indian cheese that does not have a strong flavour but stays firm when roasted. It combines beautifully with the vegetables in this delicious curry. Lovely served with some cooked rice.
|4 tbsp||sunflower oil|
|1||cauliflower, broken into florets|
|300g||sweet potato, cut into 2cm (¾in) dice|
|225g (8oz)||paneer, cut into 2cm (¾in) dice|
|3cm (1¼in) knob of||fresh root ginger, peeled and grated|
|1 tbsp||curry powder|
|1 tbsp||garam masala|
|¼ tsp||ground cloves|
|2 tbsp||plain flour|
|600ml (1 pint)||hot vegetable stock|
|2 tbsp||mango chutney|
|150ml (5fl oz)||double cream|
|100g (4oz)||baby spinach|
|juice of 1 lemon|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7.
2. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the oil into a large roasting tin. Scatter the pieces of cauliflower and sweet potato into the tin and toss to coat them with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes. Add the paneer at one end of the hot roasting tin and return it to the oven. Cook for 5–10 minutes, turning halfway through, until the cheese is golden on both sides, the cauliflower is golden and the sweet potato is tender. Set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large deep frying pan. Add the onions and ginger and fry for 5–10 minutes until cooked. Sprinkle in the spices and flour and stir over the heat for a few seconds. Gradually pour in the stock and stir until thickened, then simmer for a few minutes over a high heat.
5. Stir in the mango chutney and cream, then add the roasted cauliflower and sweet potato to the pan. Stir in the spinach until it has heated through and wilted, then add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
6. Add the paneer at the last moment and serve piping hot.
Get your copy of Mary Berry’s essential new guide to comfort cooking, with over 120 delicious, foolproof recipes: