Garlic and Herb Tear-and-Share Bread
This easy garlic and herb bread tear-and-share bread is delicious served with meats and cheeses, and is perfect for feeding a crowd.
From the book
If you have a crowd of friends around for supper, place this bread in the centre of the table, serve with cold meats and cheeses, and wait for the compliments. It’s fun and easy to make too.
|vegetable oil, for greasing|
|500g (1lb 2oz)||strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting|
|1½ tsp||easy-blend yeast|
|2 tsp||mixed dried herbs|
|135ml (4½fl oz)||boiling water|
|25g (1oz)||Stork® spread|
|200ml (7fl oz)||milk|
|For the topping:|
|75g (3oz)||Stork® spread|
|2||garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 tbsp||finely chopped parsley|
|1 tsp||chopped oregano, fresh or dried|
1. Lightly oil a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin.
2. Place the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and herbs in a bowl and stir together. Measure the boiling water into a measuring jug, add the Stork® and stir until melted. Add the milk, then pour this liquid into the flour mixture and mix well until a dough forms.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic (10 minutes by hand, or 5 minutes in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook).
4. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size (45–60 minutes).
5. To make the topping, melt the Stork® in a pan, add the garlic and herbs, then set aside to cool a little.
6. Punch the risen dough to knock out the air, then turn it onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut it into 8 equal pieces and roll each one into a ball. Dip the top of each ball in the garlic and herb mixture, then arrange in the prepared tin.
7. Cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and set aside again in a warm place until doubled in size.
8. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7.
9. Bake the bread for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 15–20 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes and serve hot or cold.