Cauliflower Biryani Salad
This easy, flavour-packed Cauliflower Biryani Salad recipe from The Sunday Brunch Cookbook makes a delicious lunch or a light weeknight supper. Full of wholesome veggies, this vegan-friendly recipe will leave you feeling satisfied and nourished.
Another outing for the wonder-ingredient that is cauliflower, this time in a lightly spiced salad that is chock full of crunch. While it can be made ahead and stored in the fridge, this salad is best served at room temperature, so fridge it before adding the dressing. When ready to serve, bring the salad back up to room temperature and then add the dressing.
|1 tbsp||ground turmeric|
|1 head||cauliflower, cut or broken into large florets|
|40ml||white wine vinegar|
|75ml||extra virgin olive oil|
|For the paste:|
|1||onion, roughly chopped|
|5cm||piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped|
|3||garlic cloves, roughly chopped|
|1 tbsp||curry powder|
|2 tsp||ground cumin|
|2||red chillies, chopped|
|For the quinoa salad:|
|400g||cooked quinoa (from a packet, or from 200g uncooked)|
|100g||frozen peas, defrosted|
|100g||fine green beans (kept raw), halved|
|A handful||chopped coriander|
|For the carrot garnish|
|4||carrots, cut into fine matchsticks|
|1 tsp||granulated sugar|
|Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon|
|3cm piece||fresh ginger, grated|
|5g||cumin seeds, toasted|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C/Gas 6.
2. For the carrot garnish, combine all the ingredients and leave for at least 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the turmeric. Blanch the cauliflower florets in the turmeric water for 1 minute, then refresh in cold water and drain.
4. Blitz all the ingredients for the paste in food processor, blending until smooth.
5. Gently fry the paste in a frying pan for 4 minutes, then cool.
6. Take one third of the paste and rub it over the cauliflower florets. Spread out on a roasting tray and roast for 6 minutes.
7. Blend the rest of the paste with the vinegar and oil, to make a dressing.
8. Mix the salad ingredients together and fold in the dressing.
9. Serve the quinoa salad topped with the roasted cauliflower florets and carrot garnish.