Roast Cashews with Chilli & Kaffir Lime Leaf
This recipe for fragrant flavoured nuts is dangerously addictive, so it's best to hare them with a couple of good friends, preferably over bottles of cold beer and a good movie. Feel free to play arpund with other types of nuts.
- 2-4 red bird's-eye chillies
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 300g raw cashews
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1/2 tsp unrefined light brown sugar
- sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 160c/gas 3.
2. Finely slice the chillies and kaffir lime leaves. Put all the ingredients into a bowl bowl and combine, tossing well so everything is well distributed. Spread the cashew mixture out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
3. Place in the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring once in a while, until the cashews turn light golden an are very fragrant. Remove and let them cool completely; they will continue cooking to a golden brown and will crisp up as they cool.