My Favourite Quick Noodle Bowl
This is probably the meal I make most often when I’m home on my own. It takes less than 10 minutes, and for something with so few ingredients it is well tasty. It does rely on you having the chilli oil in the cupboard, but I can’t big it up enough. It’s worth having, to pimp up most dishes.
- 75g broccoli
- 75g medium egg noodles
- 1 spring onion
- a few sprigs of soft herbs (coriander, chives, mint and basil work well)
- 30g baby leaf spinach
- 60g leftover cooked meat or tofu (I particular love shredded ham hock, though any protein will work)
- 2 tbsp addictive roasted chilli oil
- 2 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 1 lime
- 1/2 ripe avocado
1. Put a medium-size pan of salted water on to boil on a medium heat. As it comes to the boil, trim the broccoli and cut into even-size florets. Add the broccoli and noodles to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
2. While they are cooking, trim and finely slice the spring onion. Pick the herb leaves and finely chop. Roughly chop the spinach, if you like, and shred or cut your chosen protein into bite-size pieces.
3. As soon as the broccoli and noodles are ready, reserve a splash of the cooking water, then drain in a sieve or colander and return them to the dry pan. Stir in the spinach, chilli oil, soy sauce and sliced spring onion. Squeeze in the lime juice, and use a teaspoon to scoop in nuggets of the avocado. Add the chopped herbs and stir everything together for a minute, adding a little of the reserved cooking water to loosen – you want the avocado to break down, resulting in a spicy, creamy dressing. Tuck in straight away.