Lamb has powerful flavours so, unlike some meats, it can take a belting sauce like this one and still hold its own. This recipe makes a large batch because anything smaller would be difficult in a blender. It's best used on the day it's made.
- 150g peeled garlic
- 150g good-quality tinned brown anchovy fillets in oil
- 75g parsley (stalks and all)
- 3 small (or 2 large) lemons, juice
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 300ml vegetable oil
- Maldon salt
1. Blanch the peeled garlic cloves three times: put them in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and drain, then repeat. After the third blanching the garlic should be soft.
2. Tip the drained garlic into a blender or food processor and add the rest of the ingredients (the anchovy oil can go in too). Blitz to make a smooth, thick sauce. Chill before use. If the sauce splits a little, you can reblend.