Asparagus and Sprouting Broccoli with Peanuts and Black Sesame Salt
The sea salt, ground peanut and sesame seed mix used here makes a simple but magical seasoning that can be used in a variety of dishes. In our schooldays, sometimes our packed lunch would simply be rice, pressed into dumplings and then dipped in this peanut and sesame mix.
- 200g asparagus tips
- 200g purple-sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp salted, roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Shallot butter:
- 5g butter
- 2 tbsp dried shallots (or toasted dried onion)
1. Crush the rooasted peanuts with the sea salt in a pestle and mortar (or use a grinder or food processor). Add the sesame seeds and pound again, then mix well.
2. Put a frying pan over a medium heat and add the butter.
3. Add the dried shallots and toss for a couple of minutes until golden, crispy and fragrant. Pour this shallot butter into a jug or bowl.
4. Add the asparagus and the sprouting broccoli to the same frying pan and stir-fry them for a couple of minutes - they will cook faster if you put a lid on the pan.
5. Remove the asparagus and sprouting broccoli to a serving plate. Drizzle the shallot butter and sprinkle the peanut and sesame salt mixture over the vegetables, and serve.