Prawn Pad Thai
A simple and budget-friendly pad thai recipe from Eat Well For Less: Quick and Easy Meals made with king prawns and packed with nutritious veggies, for a delicious family favourite dish.
Pad thai can be found all over Thailand and Indonesia – everyone has their own variation. This one combines king prawns with a healthy dose of mixed fresh vegetables, providing two portions of your 5-a-day. You can make it spicier or milder, depending on how much chilli you add.
|200g||wide rice noodles|
|1 tbsp||vegetable oil|
|A small bunch||spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced|
|1||lemon grass stalk, tough outer leaves removed, halved lengthways, then finely chopped|
|1||red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped|
|2||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|2||red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced|
|3 tbsp||soy sauce|
|2 tbsp||sweet chilli sauce|
|250ml||hot vegetable stock|
|160g||green beans, halved|
|160g||broccoli, cut into florets|
|200g||raw peeled king prawns (defrosted, if frozen)|
|3||eggs, lightly beaten|
|160g||fresh spinach, roughly chopped|
|Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime|
|25g||roasted unsalted peanuts, lightly crushed|
|2 tbsp||roughly chopped coriander|
You will need: a large, heatproof bowl and a wok with a lid.
1. Put the noodles into a large, heatproof bowl, then pour over enough boiling water to cover and leave to soak for about 8–9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a wok until hot, then add the vegetable oil, spring onions, lemon grass, chilli and garlic and stir-fry over a high heat for 1 minute. Add the peppers and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just softened.
3. Reduce the heat, add the soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and hot stock and bring to a simmer. Add the green beans and broccoli, then cover with a lid and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Remove the lid, add the prawns and simmer for 2 minutes until they are just pink.
4. Add the beaten eggs to the pan and stir through quickly – you want the eggs to become evenly distributed throughout. Add the drained noodles, the spinach and lime zest and juice and stir through – you want the spinach to be just wilted and everything hot through.
5. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the roasted peanuts and chopped coriander.