Mary Berry's Leek & Dill Quiche with a Choice of Toppings
A new and easy way to serve quiche – make a delicious simple base, then choose from a selection of toppings.
|For the pastry:|
|125g (4½ oz)||plain flour, plus extra for dusting|
|75g (3oz)||butter, cubed 25g (1oz)|
|Parmesan cheese, grated|
|1||egg yolk, beaten with 1 tbsp water|
|For the filling:|
|3||small leeks, finely sliced|
|1 bunch of||dill, chopped|
|300ml (10fl oz)||pouring double cream|
|100g (4oz)||mature Cheddar cheese, grated|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|6||slices of smoked salmon|
|Parma ham and avocado|
|cherry tomatoes and fresh basil|
|prawns and avocado|
|blanched asparagus tips and rock salt|
You will need a 20cm (8in) round, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin.
1. You will need a 20cm (8in) round, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
2. To make the pastry, measure the flour, butter and cheese into a food processor and whizz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg yolk and water and whizz to a ball of dough. Alternatively, rub the flour, butter and cheese together in a mixing bowl with your fingertips before adding the egg yolk and water.
3. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured work surface to a disc slightly larger than the tin. Carefully transfer the pastry to the tin and press it into the base and sides. Form a lip of pastry around the edges of the tin. Prick the base with a fork and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
4. Line the pastry case with baking paper and baking beans, slide into the oven and bake blind for about 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes or until just cooked and pale golden. Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C/170°C fan/Gas 5.
5. Meanwhile, to make the filling, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the leeks and fry over a high heat, then cover the pan, lower the heat and cook for 10–15 minutes until soft. Leave the leeks to cool for 10 minutes, then spread them over the base of the tart. Sprinkle the dill over the leeks. Mix the eggs, cream and cheese together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour into the pastry case.
6. Bake in the oven for about 30–35 minutes until just set in the middle. Leave to cool slightly, then slice into 6 wedges and arrange your chosen topping on each wedge.
Prepare ahead: Can be made up to a day ahead. Reheat to serve, then add the topping.
Freeze: Freezes well once cooked.