Mary Berry’s Bakewell Tart Fingers
Perfect for packing up for a picnic or popping into packed lunches, Mary Berry's Bakewell tart bars feature a delicious frangipane filling and a layer of raspberry jam.
From the book
I have happy memories of making these with my children when they were young. Bakewell is often made as a round tart, but it is just as easy to make as fingers.
|For the pastry:|
|175g (6oz)||plain flour|
|2 tbsp||icing sugar, plus extra for dusting|
|1||egg, beaten for the filling|
|100g (4oz)||butter, softened|
|100g (4oz)||caster sugar|
|100g (4oz)||ground almonds|
|1 tbsp||plain flour|
|1 tsp||almond extract|
|½ jar of||good raspberry jam|
|25g (1oz)||flaked almonds|
You will need: a 33 x 23cm (13 x 9in) Swiss roll tin, a food processor, baking beans, and a rolling pin.
1. You will need a 33 x 23cm (13 x 9in) Swiss roll tin. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
2. For the pastry, measure the flour, butter and sugar into a food processor and whizz until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg and whizz until the pastry comes together. Alternatively, rub the flour, butter and sugar together in a bowl with your fingertips before adding the egg. Roll the pastry out very thinly, then use it to line the base and sides of the tin. Prick the base, then chill in the fridge or freezer for about 30 minutes.
3. Line the pastry with non-stick baking paper and baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes until the pastry is pale golden.
4. For the frangipane filling, measure the butter and sugar into the food processor. Whizz until creamy, then add the eggs and whizz again. Lastly add the ground almonds, flour and almond extract, then whizz.
5. Spread the jam over the base of the tart. Spoon the frangipane in blobs on top and spread it out to make an even layer. Sprinkle with flaked almonds. Put back into the oven for 18–20 minutes until lightly golden and set on top. Leave to cool, then slice into 16 fingers. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Prepare ahead: Can be made up to 2 days ahead.
Freeze: Freezes well once cooked.