Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Whipped Cream and Raspberry Coulis
This Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Whipped Cream and Raspberry Coulis is the dream dinner party dessert for any chocolate lover.
|For the chocolate cake:|
|225g (8oz)||caster sugar|
|2||drops of pure vanilla extract|
|125g (41⁄2oz)||unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing|
|150g (51⁄2oz)||dark chocolate (70% cocoa), broken into small pieces|
|50g (13⁄4oz)||ground almonds|
|25g (scant 1oz)||plain flour, sifted|
|For the vanilla cream:|
|150ml (5fl oz)||whipping cream|
|150ml (5fl oz)||double cream|
|1||vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out|
|50g (13⁄4oz)||icing sugar|
|For the raspberry coulis:|
|2 tbsp||icing sugar|
You will need: a 20cm (8in) round loose-bottomed cake tin and an electric whisk.
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas 3). Grease a 20cm (8in) round loose-bottomed cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
2. Using an electric whisk, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
3. Place the butter, chocolate, and 3 tbsp water in a large bowl and heat over simmering water until melted. Stir together until mixed thoroughly and smooth.
4. Using a metal spoon, fold both mixtures together. Stir in the ground almonds and flour, then pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 30–35 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
5. For the vanilla cream, place the whipping cream, double cream, vanilla seeds, and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk together until soft peaks form. Set aside until needed.
6. For the raspberry coulis, place the raspberries, icing sugar, and 2 tbsp water into a small pan and set over a medium heat for 4–5 minutes until the raspberries have broken down. Remove from the heat and rub through a fine sieve.
7. To serve, cut slices of the cake, place on plates with dots of the raspberry coulis around the edge. Serve the vanilla cream separately or place quenelles on top of the cake.