Smoked Salmon and Horseradish Fish Cakes with Garlic and Lime Mayo
Plenty of people have a jar of horseradish sauce in the fridge for a roast beef on Sunday but not so many know it's a great flavour to match with smoked fish - as this recipe demonstrates beautifully.
|800g (13/4lb)||potatoes, Maris Piper or King Edward, peeled and cut into chunks|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|200g (7oz)||smoked salmon, cut into pieces|
|200g (7oz)||smoked mackerel|
|1 tbsp||chopped dill, parsley, or chives|
|4 tbsp||horseradish sauce|
|6||spring onions, chopped|
|Zest of 1 lemon|
|100g (31/2oz)||breadcrumbs or toasted breadcrumbs|
|Green salad or rocket, to serve|
|For the mayonnaise:|
|1 tbsp||capers (optional)|
|2 tbsp||gherkins or cornichons, chopped (optional)|
|1||small garlic clove, grated or finely chopped|
|Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon|
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water and once tender drain them well then roughly mash them - they don't have to be smooth.
2. Place the mash in a bowl, add the salmon, and flake in the mackerel. Add the herbs, horseradish, spring onions, and lemon zest, setting aside a little zest to garnish, then season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together, taking care not to break up the mackerel too much.
3. Shape the mixture into 8 patties and, if there's time, chill them in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm them up. Mix together the ingredients for the mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the egg, flour, and breadcrumbs in three bowls. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dip the patties first into the flour, then the egg, and finish off in the breadcrumbs.
5. Heat the oil in the pan and cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side. If you wish, finish them off in the oven at 180ºC (350ºF/Gas 4) for 10 minutes to ensure even browning all over. Serve with the mayo and salad and garnish with a little lemon zest.
Cook's Note: make up a double batch and when the patties are ready, put them on a disc of baking parchment then into a freezer bag or container to freeze. Thaw for 12 hours in the fridge then cook as in step 5, above.