Roast Plum Bake with Streusel Crumble
This deconstructed crumble allows the plums to shine like jewels on top, while the bed of streusel soaks up all the delicious juices.
|6||plums, halved and stoned|
|2 tbsp||salted butter|
|3 tbsp||demerara sugar|
|For the streusel crumble:|
|100g (4oz)||salted butter, chilled and cut into cubes|
|100g (4oz)||demerara sugar|
|100g (4oz)||plain flour|
|100g (4oz)||flaked almonds|
|For the amaretto cream (optional)|
|200ml (7fl oz)||double cream|
|3 tbsp||icing sugar, sifted|
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25–30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. For the amaretto cream, place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
3. For the crumble, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and flaked almonds. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and set aside.
4. For the plums, melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the plums, cut side down, and fry for 2–3 minutes until barely golden. Transfer the plums to the baking sheet, sitting them skin side down on top of the crumble. Sprinkle the sugar over the plums.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes, stirring the crumble once or twice, until golden brown and crisp and the plums are soft. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then serve with the amaretto cream.
Tip: If you prefer, you can serve this with ice cream instead of the amaretto cream.