One-pot Vegetarian Chilli with Baked Potatoes
Juicy, tangy, with a bit of chilli heat, and easy to make – this is a one-pot recipe so you won’t have much washing up! I like to use chipotle chilli paste as it’s made using smoked jalapeños and so adds a wonderful smoky flavour to the dish.
|For the chilli sauce:|
|2 tbsp||light olive oil or vegetable oil|
|2||medium onions, finely chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|200g||green beans, trimmed and chopped|
|1||red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped|
|400g||tin kidney beans, drained|
|100g||veggie mince or chopped up veggie burger (optional)|
|1-2 tsp||chipotle chilli paste, or ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes|
|2x||400g tins chopped tomatoes|
|1 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian, no anchovies)|
|1 tbsp||tamari (for gluten-free option) or soy sauce|
|1 tbsp||finely chopped fresh coriander or parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried herbs|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|sour cream or crème fraîche (or dairy-free plain yoghurt), to serve|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Wash the potatoes and prick them with a fork. Wrap them in kitchen foil and bake in the oven – this should take about 1 hour, depending on the size of your potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, make the chilli sauce. Heat the oil in a medium to large saucepan, add the onions and fry gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, green beans and red pepper. Turn up the heat slightly, then stir in the drained kidney beans and the veggie mince (if using) and cook through for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the chipotle paste or chilli flakes, the chopped tomatoes, water, Worcestershire sauce and tamari or soy sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover and cook for 30 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally.
4. Taste, and add more seasoning as necessary. If you prefer a spicier sauce, add extra chipotle paste or chilli flakes. The sauce should be rich and thickened. Finally, stir in the herbs and add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Keep warm until the potatoes are ready.
5. To serve, spoon the chilli sauce evenly over the baked potatoes and top each one with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche.