The Marshmallowist shares her recipe for the Marshmallow Cookie - or the Mookie! Deliciously sticky and sweet, nobody will be able to resist these imaginative creations.
Ever since the celebrated New York 'Cronut' rocked up to the pastry party, the pressure has been on to create an equally successful hybrid. So hold on to your waistbands, because here it is: the marshmallow-cookie 'Mookie', or as lovely Yorkshire friends and family call it, the 'Mucky' (you have to at least attempt a Yorkshire accent here, please). I'm sure you'll agree it is a far more appropriate name for such a naughty little treat.
|150g||salted butter, softened|
|100g||light brown muscovado sugar|
|2 tsp||vanilla bean paste|
|250g||plain flour, plus more to dust|
|1/2 tsp||bicarbonate of soda|
|1 tsp||coarse sea salt|
|200g||good-quality dark chocolate, chopped into chunks|
|100g||chopped marshmallows, any flavour, though I’m a fan of coconut marshmallows for this|
You will need a 44x37cm baking tray.
1. Place the butter and both sugars into the bowl of a stand mixer and cream together until light and fluffy. Then, slowly beat in the eggs 1 at a time and add the vanilla on a medium speed.
2. Remove the bowl from the mixer, gradually sift in the flour, bicarb and salt and fold in carefully with a wooden spoon. Once fully mixed, toss in the chocolate chunks and stir until just combined; try to avoid over-mixing here, or the gluten in the flour develops and your Mookies become hard and tough.
3. Scrape out the mixture on to a floured work surface, divide in half and roll each into a 30cm-long sausage shape. Wrap in cling-film and place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour to firm up.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5, and line a 44x37cm baking tray with baking parchment.
5. Cut each douch sausage into 12 slices, each about 2.5cm wide, to make 25 slice in total, and flatten them down using the palm of your hand. Place a squidge of marshmallow carefully in the centre of one slice, cover with another piece of dough roughly similar in size to the first and press together. Repeat until you’ve used up all your dough, and place the Mookies on the prepared tray.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges and soft and mallow in the centre. Let your Mookies sit in the tray to firm up slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.