Indian Lentil-Cauliflower Soup
From Angela Liddon's Oh She Glows book, this is a healthy, vegan Indian-inspired Lentil-Cauliflower Soup recipe. Lentils and cauliflower are budget-friendly, and perfect with the warming spices in this hearty soup.
From the book
Why is it that the homeliest soups tend to taste the best? This soup isn't fancy-looking at first glance, but the flavour will make your taste buds bust out a dance routine. Or if you are like me, you might actually bust out a dance number mid-bite in the middle of the kitchen. (I never promised to be normal.) Ingredients like lentils and cauliflower make for a budget-friendly meal, while Indian spices like curry powder and fresh ginger are sure to warm you up on a cool day. The flavour gets better as it sits, so I tend to enjoy the leftovers even more.
|1 tbsp||coconut oil or other oil|
|1||yellow onion, diced|
|2||large cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tbsp||minced peeled fresh ginger|
|1-2 tbsp||curry powder, to taste|
|11/2 tsp||ground coriander|
|1 tsp||ground cumin|
|1.5 litres||vegetable broth|
|190g||uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained|
|1||medium cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets|
|1||medium sweet potato, peeled and diced|
|2||large handfuls baby spinach|
|3/4 tsp||fine-grain sea salt, or to taste|
|freshly ground black pepper|
|chopped fresh coriander, for serving (optional)|
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 to 6 minutes, until translucent.
2. Stir in the ginger, 1 tablespoon of the curry powder, coriander, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
3. Add the broth and red lentils and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes more.
4. Stir in the cauliflower and sweet potato. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cauliflower and sweet potato are tender. Season with the salt and pepper, and add more curry powder, if desired. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with coriander, if desired.