Wormy Spaghetti (From Roald Dahl's The Twits)
This recipe from Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes cookbook is sure to go down a treat with kids big and little alike.
Illustrations © Quentin Blake
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 14 ounces canned plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 carrots, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces fusilli
- 8 ounces tricolour spaghetti (2 ounces spinach, 2 ounces whole-wheat, and 4 ounces regular spaghetti)
- 6 ounces Cheddar cheese
You will need: A medium and a large saucepan
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan and cook the onion, celery, and garlic over a low heat, covered, until soft.
2. Add the remaining ingredient for the sauce except the carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the bay leaf and purée the sauce until liquefied. Return the sauce to the saucepan, season with salt and pepper to taste, and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add a tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Break the fusilli and the tricolour spaghetti into thirds and cook until al dente, about 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Fold the grated carrots into the sauce and heat through.
6. Serve the spaghetti on individual plates, topped with the sauce and grated cheese.