Roasted Pineapple Chicken with a Sweet Chilli Glaze
- 2 tbsp tbsp Reggae Reggae Tomato Ketchup or regular tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp Japanese soy sauce
- 90ml pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp ginger syrup (or you can use the syrup from a jar of stem ginger)
- 1 tsp soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into bite-sized chunks (you need 32 chunks in total)
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, each cut into 3 pieces
1. Put the glaze ingredients in a small pan and simmer, uncovered, over a low heat for 10 minutes, or until reduced to a syrup. Pour into a non-metallic container until needed. You can do this 1 or 2 days in advance and store covered in the fridge.
2. Make the skewers at least a couple of hours in advance of cooking. Thread a pineapple piece onto a metal skewer – or a wooden one that you have soaked in water for 30 minutes – followed by a chicken piece. Continue until you have 3 chicken pieces and 4 pineapple pieces on each skewer. Place the skewers in a flat, non-metallic dish and pour over the glaze. Turn a few times to coat and marinate for a couple of hours in the fridge, loosely covered in clingfilm.
3. Barbecue the skewers on a medium-high heat, basting with the marinade and turning often until the chicken is brown and cooked through – the juices should run clear. You need to pay attention and keep turning the skewers because the sweet glaze can burn. Serve immediately.