Ancient Grains Soup
The ancient grains amaranth, freekeh, and quinoa bring a robust texture and earthy flavour to this rich tomato soup. With a savoury mix of vegetables, it's nutritious and satisfying. Serve hot.
- 3/4 tbsp olive oil
- 75g (2 1/2oz) onion, diced
- 50g (1 3/4oz) celery, diced
- 75g (2 1/2oz) carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed (about 2 cloves)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 60g (2oz) amaranth, cooked
- 45g (1 1/2oz) freekeh, cooked
- 45g (1 1/2oz) quinoa, cooked
- 400ml (14fl oz) water
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
1. In a medium casserole, heat olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes (with juices), amaranth, freekeh, quinoa, and water. Increase heat and bring to the boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Transfer contents of pot to blender and add parsley. Purée until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.