Spiced Biscotti with an Orange Syllabub Dip
These crunchy, crisp biscuits are sturdy and keep for a long time, which also makes them
amazing for dunking. The fruit in the recipe can substituted with any dried fruit you may
have at home. These make a great present and look really good in a jar. The syllabub is just a fancier way of serving them if you have guests around, or if you just want a treat.
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 40 minutes, plus 30 minutes. Cannot be frozen.
|For the biscotti:|
|350g||plain flour, plus extra for dusting|
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|2 tsp||mixed spice|
|250g||golden caster sugar|
|50g||macadamia nuts, roughly chopped|
|50g||pistachios, roughly chopped|
|3||large eggs, beaten|
|For the syllabub dip:|
|2||oranges, zest of|
|4 tbsp||whole milk|
To make the biscotti:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C, and line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper or silicone pads.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and sugar into a bowl,
3. Now add the orange zest, currants, cranberries, macadamia nuts and pistachios and give everything a quick mix. Add the beaten eggs and bring the dough together by hand.
4. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and divide it into two equal pieces. Roll them out to about 10cm wide and put each on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 35–40 minutes, until the dough has risen and is firm, though it should still look very pale.
6. Take out of the oven and leave on the baking sheets. Turn the oven down to 140°C/fan 120°C.
7. Using a bread knife, cut diagonal slices about 1cm wide. Lay the slices out on the baking sheets, and bake for a further 25–30 minutes until dry and golden. This may take longer – just keep testing until the biscuits are very dry.
8. Leave the biscotti to cool on a wire rack.
To make the syllabub dip:
1. Whisk the cream and sugar until you have soft peaks.
2. Add the orange zest and juice, and mix through. Add the milk to slacken the mixture so it has the consistency of a dip.
3. Serve in a dipping bowl alongside the biscotti.
Click here to get Nadiya's Kitchen on ebook for just £1.99 throughout May 2019.