Shredded Chicken, Carrot & Dill Soup
This recipe is a bonus recipe to mark the release of Melissa Hemsley's Eat Happy. While not featured in the book, it is a taste of the kind of easy, feel-good food you can expect from the brilliant recipes in Eat Happy. Over to you, Melissa...
If you’ve got any leftover roast chicken, this dish makes a great leftover lunch. Using stock-standard ingredients like frozen peas, onion, garlic and carrot, this is a recipe for lazy days when you don’t want to leave the house. If you’re not a dill fan, swap for parsley or chervil. You can also swap frozen peas for broad beans.
|1 tbsp||ghee or butter|
|1||leek or onion, diced|
|2||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||dried thyme or rosemary|
|350g||cooked chicken, shredded|
|4||large carrots, roughly chopped|
|2||celery sticks, diced|
|800ml||quality vegetable stock or broth|
|2||large handfuls of frozen peas|
|juice of ¼ lemon or ½ tsp apple cider vinegar|
|1 handful||of dill, freshly chopped|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
1. In a large wide pan, heat the ghee/butter and fry the leek or onions on a medium heat for 5 minutes while you prep everything else.
2. Add the garlic and dried thyme and cook for another minute. Add the carrots, a pinch of sea salt and pepper and let fry for a further minute.
3. Add the stock/broth and simmer on high for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
4. Add the peas, leftover cooked chicken, lemon juice/vinegar and half the dill for a final 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. Taste for seasoning (I like lots of pepper). Divide between bowls, scatter with the rest of the dill and serve.