Rainbow Lentil Meatballs with Arrabbiata Sauce
A vegan version of a family favourite recipe, these rainbow lentil meatballs made with red and brown lentils is an easy crowd-pleasing pasta dish with a delicious arrabbiata chilli sauce for an extra kick.
From the book
This dish is loaded with protein and fibre from the health-busting lentils and vitamin C-rich canned tomatoes – both are a must for the vegan store cupboard.
|For the lentil meatballs:|
|300g (10oz)||cooked red lentils, thoroughly drained|
|85g (3oz)||cooked brown lentils, thoroughly drained|
|3 tbsp||aquafaba, lightly beaten|
|45g (1½ oz)||panko breadcrumbs|
|½ tsp||garlic powder|
|1 tsp||dried oregano|
|Zest of 1 large lemon|
|¼ tsp||ground cayenne pepper|
|400g (14oz)||egg-free spaghetti|
|Plant-based Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)|
|For the arrabbiata sauce:|
|2 tbsp||olive oil|
|1||small onion, finely chopped|
|2 x 400g (14oz) cans||chopped tomatoes|
|1 tbsp||crushed dried chillies|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly oil a baking tray. In a large mixing bowl, combine the red lentils, brown lentils, aquafaba, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano, lemon zest, and cayenne.
2. With your hands, form approximately 1 tablespoon of the lentil mixture into a meatball and place on the baking tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Bake for 25 minutes, rotating the meatballs halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, to make the arrabiatta sauce, in a saucepan warm the olive oil over a medium–low heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the tomatoes and chillies. Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. While the sauce is simmering, add the pasta to a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 8–10 minutes or according to packet instructions. Drain and return to the pan.
5. Place the pasta and meatballs on 4 plates, top with the sauce, and serve immediately. Sprinkle with plant-based Parmesan cheese, if you like.