Eat Well For Less Super-quick Stir-fry
Stir-fries might take a little time to prepare, but then they are the simplest of things to cook. Follow the order for putting the vegetables in and you end up with a perfectly cooked stir-fry with plenty of protein, plus over three portions of your 5 a day per serving!
|300g||brown basmati rice|
|3 tsp||groundnut oil|
|125g||unsalted cashew nuts|
|3||garlic cloves, finely sliced|
|7cm||piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped|
|2||red onions, finely sliced|
|3||peppers (mixed colours), deseeded and finely sliced|
|240g||broccoli, central stalk thinly sliced, then the remainder cut into small florets|
|240g||green beans, cut into 3cm-length pieces|
|400g||frozen raw peeled king prawns, defrosted|
|3||carrots, peeled lengthways into long, thin ribbons (using a speedy/veg peeler)|
|3 tbsp||teriyaki sauce|
|1 tbsp||toasted sesame oil|
|Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime|
|2||red or green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)|
|Sea salt, to taste|
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the basmati rice, stir well, then return to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes until tender. Drain and return to the pan.
2. Meanwhile, prepare all the vegetables so that the stir-fry and rice will be ready at the same time (see Tip).
3. Heat a large wok until hot. Add 1 teaspoon of the groundnut oil and the cashews and stir-fry over a high heat for 1–2 minutes until golden brown. Tip out onto a kitchen paperlined plate and set aside.
4. Add the remaining oil to the wok. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry over a high heat for 1 minute, then add the red onions and peppers and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add the broccoli and green beans, then add 200ml of cold water, stir well, cover with a lid and steam for 1 minute.
6. Stir in the prawns, cover and cook for 1 minute until just turning pink, then add the carrot strips, sweetcorn, teriyaki sauce and another 100ml of cold water. Stir-fry for a further 2 minutes until the veg are just tender and the prawns are pink and cooked through.
7. Return the toasted cashews to the pan, along with the toasted sesame oil and lime zest and juice and stir through.
8. Divide the cooked rice between serving plates and top with the stir-fry. Scatter over the chillies to finish, if you like.
Tip: Don’t start cooking the stir-fry until all the veg are chopped and the rice is about 10 minutes away from being cooked, to ensure that the stir-fry and rice are ready together. Have a timer nearby, it really does help with stir-fries!