Chewy Molasses Spelt Cookies
With crispy edges and chewy centres, these richly spiced cookies are hard to resist! I use moderate amounts of sweetener here, so the molasses cookies are sweet but not too sweet. The combination of molasses, ginger, cinnamon and cloves will make your home smell heavenly as the cookies bake—you’ll be tempted to have a batch in the oven throughout the Christmas season. The texture of these cookies is variable; the longer you leave them in the oven, the crispier they become.
Extend the baking time a bit for a traditional ginger snap texture or bake for the shorter time if you prefer a softer cookie.
|1½ tsp||ground flax|
|55g||dairy-free spread or virgin coconut oil, softened|
|65g||natural cane sugar|
|2 tbsp||pure maple syrup|
|2 tbsp||blackstrap molasses|
|½ tsp||pure vanilla extract|
|1 tsp||ground ginger|
|½ tsp||baking soda|
|½ tsp||ground cinnamon|
|¼ tsp||fine sea salt|
|¼ tsp||ground cloves|
|130g||white spelt flour or wholegrain spelt flour|
|2 tbsp||turbinado sugar or natural cane sugar, for rolling|
You will need: an electric mixer.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mug, stir together the ground fl ax and water and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
3. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, cane sugar, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla and linseed mixture until smooth and combined.
4. One by one, beat in the ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and fl our until just combined. Be sure not to overmix the batter.
5. Put the turbinado sugar in a bowl. Shape the dough into small 2.5cm balls and roll in the sugar. Place the balls 5cm apart on the prepared baking sheet. Do not press down.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes for a softer cookie and 12 to 13 minutes for a crispier cookie.
7. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Store the cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Make it soya-free: Use soya-free vegan butter or coconut oil.