Cauliflower Flatbread Pizza
Traditional pizza can be a digestive disaster, since it usually combines a starchy crust with gluey cheese, but this cauliflower version digests seamlessly and is just as satisfying. The key to getting a truly flatbreadlike crust is wringing out the cauliflower thoroughly, removing as much moisture as possible. You’ll be amazed at the dry texture of this low-carb and protein-rich alternative, which can be enjoyed with your favourite pizza toppings or used as a flatbread for sandwiches. Because this process can be a bit labour-intensive, you may want to double or triple this recipe and freeze the extras for a quick pizza night in the future.
|2 pounds||frozen cauliflower florets, thawed|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|½ cup||chevre (soft goat cheese)|
|2 tsp||dried oregano|
|1 tsp||dried basil|
|½ tsp||sea salt|
You will need a food processor.
1. Preheat the oven to 400oF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, pulse the cauliflower florets several times, until a ricelike consistency is achieved. Pour the cauliflower into the centre of a thin dish towel, then twist it up and use your hands to firmly wring out moisture. Quite a lot of liquid should be released, leaving you with a dry lump of cauliflower pulp.
3. Place the cauliflower pulp in a large mixing bowl and mix in the egg, chevre, oregano, basil, and salt, stirring well to create a uniform mixture.
4. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the baking sheet and use your hands to press the crust firmly into a large circular or rectangular crust, about ¼ inch thick. Be sure to pack the cauliflower mixture together firmly and evenly, leaving no thin spots where the crust may crack.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is dry and golden, then carefully flip the crust over and bake for another 10 minutes. Use immediately as a pizza crust or allow the flatbread to cool and slice it to use as sandwich bread.
6. To complete the pizza, add your favourite sauce and toppings and then bake for another 10 minutes at 400oF, until the topping are heated thoroughly. Slice and serve hot.
TIP: make it omnivore-friendly Add your favourite high-quality meat toppings.