Apple and Carrot Muffins
These Apple and Carrot Muffins from Annabel Karmel's Family Cookbook are a perfect healthy after-school snack. Easy to make, they are guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family.
From the book
Here is a healthy and deliciously moist muffin that’s bound to become a family favourite. These muffins are very easy to make and will keep well for up to five days.
|150g (5 oz)||plain wholemeal flour|
|50g (2 oz)||granulated sugar|
|1½ tsp||baking powder|
|125 ml (4 fl oz)||vegetable oil|
|60 ml (2¼ fl oz)||honey|
|60 ml (2¼ fl oz)||maple syrup|
|2||medium eggs, lightly beaten|
|1||large apple, peeled, cored and grated|
|75 g (3 oz)||carrots, peeled and grated|
|65 g (2½ oz)||raisins|
You will need a 12-hole muffin tray.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cups.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ginger in a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, honey, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Beat lightly with a wire whisk until blended. Add the grated apple, carrots and raisins to the liquid mixture and stir well.
4. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined but don’t overmix or the muffins will become heavy.
5. Fill the muffin cups with the batter until two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes. Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.