Quinoa with Orange-Chilli Kale and Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 85g (½cup) quinoa
- 240ml (1 cup) boiling water
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1–2 tsp deseeded and finely chopped red chilli (to taste)
- 300g kale, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp tamari
Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Put the butternut squash in a roasting tin, drizzle over half the olive oil, add a pinch of salt and place in the oven to cook for around 30 minutes, checking every so often and giving it a stir to ensure it doesn’t burn.
Meanwhile, add the quinoa to a saucepan with the water and a pinch of salt. Bring back up to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15–20 minutes or until fluffy. Mix the lemon juice into the quinoa just before serving.
Now add the remaining olive oil to a frying pan and toast the chilli and garlic over a medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes or until fragrant, then add the kale and stir-fry until it starts to wilt. Finally, add the orange juice and tamari and cook for a further minute or two.
To assemble, first spread the quinoa on each plate or bowl, followed by the kale and then the caramelised butternut squash.