Grilled sardines with coarsely chopped green herbs
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- ½ tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- ½ tbsp finely chopped pitted green olives
- ½ tbsp chopped capers
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sardines, cleaned and trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing and serving
- Lemon wedges, to serve
It’s important to remember to soak bamboo skewers in cold water for at least half an hour before using so they don’t scorch.
Mix together the lemon zest, rosemary, parsley, garlic, olives, capers, salt and pepper. Set to one side. Preheat the grill to high. Pierce each sardine from head to tail with a skewer. Lay them on a lightly oiled baking tray and sprinkle them with some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill for 2 minutes on each side.
Serve the skewered sardines scattered with the herb mixture, drizzled with a little extra oil and with the lemon wedges alongside.