Goan spiced mackerel with tomato & chilli sambal & raita
Rich, oily mackerel is robust enough to handle a little heat and spice. The cucumber yoghurt cools and refreshes.
- For the mackerel:
- 4 fresh mackerel fillets, about 120 g (4 oz) each
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 160 g (5½ oz) salad leaves, to serve
- For the sambal:
- 2 red chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- For the raita:
- 300g (10½ oz) low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 10-cm (4-in) piece cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the grill to high. Rub the mackerel fillets with the spices and sprinkle with half the lime juice and zest. Grill the fillets for 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, make the sambal by pounding the red chillies and garlic with a pestle and mortar. Stir in the remaining lime juice and zest, along with the tomatoes.
3. To make the raita, combine the ingredients and set aside.
4. Serve the mackerel fillets topped with the sambal. Serve the raita and salad leaves on the side.