One of the most interesting elements of taste is how it can trigger memories. For me, summers spent in Sicily are synonymous with drinking Sgroppino. When creating the original menu at Isola in 1999, the Elegante arose from my desire for an elegant blended drink, as those were getting a panning at the time. Inspired by the summery Sgroppino, I decided to make a more refined and refreshing version.
I began by making sorbet and playing with the proportions of vodka. By exchanging the creaminess of ice cream for sorbet and blending the Prosecco, the bubbles break but keep their fizz and this combination makes for a delicious sherbet tang. Over the last decade it has been both a summer favourite and a drink that can be tailored according to the seasons. I have also adapted the recipe with homemade mandarin and raspberry sorbets, both of which add a new dimension to the cocktail.
- 50ml vodka
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 15ml sugar syrup
- 60ml Prosecco
- 1 scoop lemon sorbet (ideally homemade)
- 1 scoop crushed ice (roughly 150g)
- 1 lemon, for zest garnish
1. Place all the ingredients in a blender, apart from the lemon, and blend for approximately 30 seconds – a smooth sound indicates that the ice chips are ground.
2. Pour the mix into a coupette and finish by using a stringer to express the oils from the lemon’s zest over the drink.