9-Spice Avocado Hummus Toast
You know that age-old question, ‘What meal could you live off of for the rest of your life?’ Well, I’m pretty sure this one ranks high for me. Avocado toast isn’t anything new for most of us, but I can promise you’ve never had it this flavourful before. The secret is in my favourite homemade 9-Spice Mix, which is incredibly flavourful, a little smoky, and also lightly sweet. I like to keep the spice mix on hand so it’s ready whenever a craving strikes (which is often). This recipe starts with infusing the toast with fresh garlic. Once you try it prepared this way, you’ll never make avocado toast without it. Then it’s topped with hummus, sliced avocado, a generous amount of spice mix, red pepper flakes, sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil. I recommend having all your ingredients ready to go before you put the toast in the toaster; that way, once the toast pops, it’s go time! This recipe serves two, because anyone else in your house is likely to become insanely jealous if you eat this alone; I speak from experience. However, feel free to halve the recipe if it’s just for you.
|4 slices||your favourite bread|
|1||large clove garlic, halved lengthwise|
|1||Hass avocado, pitted and sliced|
|Fine sea salt|
|Red pepper flakes (optional)|
|2 tsp||extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil|
|A squeeze||fresh lemon or lime juice, for garnish (optional)|
|1 to 2 tsp||9-Spice Mix, to taste (see below)|
|For the 9-Spice Mix:|
|1 tsp||sweet paprika|
|1 tsp||garlic powder|
|1 tsp||dried minced onion|
|3⁄4 tsp||fine sea salt|
|½ tsp||freshly ground black pepper|
|½ tsp||dried oregano|
|¼ tsp||ground turmeric|
|¼ tsp||dried thyme|
|¼ tsp||smoked paprika|
You will need: a toaster.
For the 9-Spice Mix:
1. Combine all the spices in a small jar. Screw on the lid and shake to combine. Store in a cupboard for up to 2 months.
For the Avocado Hummus Toast:
1. Toast the bread until golden and fairly crisp, so that it stands up well to the toppings without getting soggy.
2. Rub the sliced garlic, cut-side down, all over each piece of toast. This will infuse the bread with garlic flavour without it being overpowering.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of the hummus over each piece of toast and top with avocado slices.
4. Shake the spice mix to combine, if necessary, and sprinkle ¼ to ½ teaspoon onto each piece of toast.
5. Add salt and red pepper flakes (if using) to taste and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, if desired. Serve immediately.
Cook's Tip: Short of time? This toast still tastes great even without the spice mix.
Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread. (I like to state the obvious, apparently.)