Quinoa is not the only grain I eat for lunch. I love brown rice, wild rice and basmati too. I often purposely cook more rice than I need, so that I have leftovers to play with. If you’re precooking grains to be used in a cold salad, remember to cool the cooked grains as quickly as possible and store them in the fridge until you need them. It is true that making this Three-Grain Salad means being prepared. But if you can do a little planning and have all of the ingredients to hand, I promise it will be worth your while.
- 100g brown rice, cooked and cooled (100g is the weight before cooking)
- 100g quinoa, cooked and cooled (100g is the weight before cooking)
- 100g wild rice, cooked and cooled (100g is the weight before cooking)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, cubed, roasted and cooled
- 3 roasted peppers, sliced and cooled
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 100g seeds (pumpkin and sunflower work well)
- a handful of mint leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, halved
Store all of the cooled ingredients separately in the fridge until needed.
When you are ready to serve, toss the cooled ingredients together in a large bowl. Divide the salad between serving plates. Sprinkle over the seeds and mint. Squeeze over some lemon juice and serve without delay.