Spiced Carrot, Parsnip & Orange Cake (gluten-free)
This cake persuades children to eat their vegetables with pleasure. For individual cakes, divide the mixture among cupcake cases. Double the recipe for a tall, café-style sandwich carrot cake.
- 110g butter or dairy-free baking margarine, softened
- 55g rice flour
- 55g cornflour
- 110g light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 1 orange, zest
- 100g carrot, grated
- 100g parsnip, grated
- 50g raisins
- 40g pecans, roughly chopped
- FOR THE ORANGE CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 50g butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese
- 275g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 orange, zest and 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 20g pecans, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20-cm springform cake tin with butter or dairy-free baking margarine and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the butter, flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, spices, eggs and orange zest in a medium bowl. Whisk together on a medium speed until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
3. With a large metal spoon, fold in the carrot, parsnip, raisins and pecans. Tip the mixture into the prepared cake tin, and bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until the centre is set and springy, and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven, then peel off the lining paper and leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack. When cold, run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake, and transfer from the tin and to a serving plate.
5. To make the icing, in a large bowl, whisk the butter until soft and fluffy, then whisk in the cream cheese, icing sugar and orange zest and juice, until smooth and thick. Spread over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans, and serve.
TIP: to make a dairy-free icing, mix 300 g softened dairy-free baking margarine, beat 275 g icing sugar, the finely grated zest of 1 orange and the finely grated zest of 1 lime together – and add 1 tablespoon of lime juice to give the icing a citrus kick.