Mixed Beetroot Salad with Smoked Mackerel
- 400 g raw mixed heritage beetroot: golden, chioggia and classic red
- 100 g mixed salad, ruby leaves ideal
- 1 head red chicory
- 320 g smoked mackerel fillets
- 2 cm fresh horseradish root, grated
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin cold pressed
- Rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing, place all the ingredients into a jar and shake until emulsified. The whole garlic clove is used for infusion and should be removed just before use.
In a saucepan of boiling water, cook the beetroots in their skins (this should take about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on size) and peel while warm. Once they have cooled down, roughly chop the beetroots.
To serve, toss the beetroot pieces in half the dressing and place them on a large plate. Scatter the salad leaves and chicory between the beetroot pieces. Break the mackerel fillets into pieces and arrange over the salad. Finish with extra dressing and grated horseradish.