DIY Oaty Fruity Cereal
Eating a tasty, nutritious breakfast is a great way to help kick-start your day the best way you can. Make a big batch of healthy cereal, then store it in an airtight container for up to four weeks. I’ve given you two great ways to serve it here, but feel free to come up with your own ideas.
Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution: Jamie is urging all of us to cook for our lives. This recipe is one of Jamie’s 10 Food Revolution recipes that together can teach us all the skills we need to feed ourselves and our families good, nutritious food for years to come. For all 10 recipes go to jamiesfoodrevolution.org and celebrate the power of fresh, healthy, real food.
Recipe © Jamie Oliver. Photo © James Lyndsay
- For the cereal:
- 100g dried fruit, such as sultanas, raisins, dried apricots
- 50g mixed unsalted nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts
- 50g mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sun ower, sesame, poppy
- 400g porridge oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- milk or natural yoghurt, to serve
- For bircher muesli (serves 4):
- 1 eating apple
- roughly 400ml milk
- Equipment needed:
- Weighing scales
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Optional: measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Airtight container
- Optional: box grater
- Optional: clingfilm
To make the cereal:
1. Roughly chop any larger dried fruit and nuts, then place into a large bowl along with the seeds, oats and cinnamon (if using).
2. Tip into an airtight container.
To serve the cereal:
1. Place a handful of cereal (roughly 50g) per person to your serving bowls.
2. Add milk or natural yoghurt and chopped fresh fruit, if you like, then serve.
To make bircher muesli (serves 4):
1. Add 200g of cereal to a large bowl.
2. Place a box grater on a board, then coarsely grate the apple, discarding the core. Add it to your oaty cereal.
3. Pour over enough milk to cover, then mix well.
4. Cover the bowl with cling film, then pop in the fridge to soak overnight.
5. When you’re ready to eat, give the bircher a good stir, divide between your bowls, then serve with chopped fresh fruit, if you like.