Courgetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Courgetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce From Annabel’s 25th anniversary New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner
- 900g ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the ‘courgetti’
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- A dash of sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 large courgettes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
1. To make the sauce, first make a small cross on the bases of the tomatoes. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 1 – 1 ½ minutes until the skins are just starting to peel off. Drain and cool under cold running water, then peel off the skins, quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, sugar and tomato puree. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 – 35 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Season well.
3. Put the courgettes through the spiralizer to make long spaghetti-like strands of ‘courgetti’.
4. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan or wok. Quickly fry the ‘courgetti’ for 2 – 3 minutes until just tender – if you want it softer you can fry it for a little longer. Season and spoon into a serving dish. Pour over the tomato sauce and sprinkle with basil and cheese.