Caramel Mousse with a Raw Chocolate Ganache
Despite being made from completely natural ingredients, this is one of the most indulgent desserts I have ever tasted. The base consists of a fudge brownie, with a hint of sweet pecan and a subtle caramel overtone from the Medjool dates. The middle is like a caramel mousse with hints of cinnamon and coconut. To top it all is a layer of raw chocolate ganache – sheer heaven!
- For the base:
- 115g (1 cup) pecans
- 3 tbsp raw cacao (or cocoa) powder
- 90g (1/2 cup) Medjool dates, pitted
- pinch of salt
- For the caramel layer:
- 125g (1/2 cup) cashew butter
- 45g (1/4 cup) Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp raw honey, agave or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60–120ml (1/4 – 1/2 cup) water (Start with less and add more if needed)
- For the raw chocolate ganache:
- 2 generous tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 30g (1/4 cup) raw cacao (or cocoa) powder
- 80ml (1/4 cup) agave or maple syrup
Make the base by adding the pecans and cacao (or cocoa) powder to a food processor and process into a fine flour, then add the dates and blend again until it becomes a sticky dough. Divide the dough in two and press into the bottom of a glass or jar.
Make the caramel layer by adding all ingredients to a blender and blending until smooth. Pour on top of the base in each glass or jar.
To make the chocolate chocolate ganache, mix all the ingredients until smooth, then pour the chocolate on top of the caramel layer and place in the fridge to chill until you are ready to serve.